Lymphomaniacs

Life is just one damn thing after another, Mark Twain - cancer survivor

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

#67 New & Improved: Port-a-Cath Free!

Hey Gang!
Well, I've got a few things to talk about finally! The port-a-cath removal surgery went very well. Other than the initial part of getting ready, and talking to the nurses and anesthesiologists I really don't remember a thing about the procedure itself.

One cool thing while waiting in the pre-op area, Dr. Casso (he was the one that performed the initial lymph node biopsy) was working with a patient nearby. I was able to get his attention and we chatted for a bit. He seemed pretty excited to hear that all was well, and that it was port removal day. He even mentioned that he followed the blog for quite a while. How cool is that! I hope I didn't talk any smack about him...

As you can easily ascertain from the pic above they let me keep the port! I asked all the nurses at first and none of them were sure. Most of them mentioned that it would be considered contaminated and I probably couldn't keep it, but to ask Dr. Yo anyway. When I finally asked Dr. Yo he immediately said, "I don't have a problem with it. Nurses, what do you think? Can we get it cleaned up for him? Then Dr. Yo looked at me and said, "I mean, you did pay for it". I thought that was pretty funny/cool.

I guessing that they gave me the good stuff because I don't remember being wheeled into the surgery room at all. Next thing I know I'm in recovery and feeling pretty good. Then they gave me some vicodin and sent me on way...under supervision from Sam of course.

I sorta went against orders and ate a big breakfast, and then I passed out for a few hours. It felt pretty good. I followed that up by eating some lunch and going back to sleep! Pretty exciting stuff! About 5pm I was able to get dressed and take Snoop for a walk. I have to say he was a big pal and hung out with me for quite a while in bed. He's pretty good at that by now.

Now it's Wed. morning and I am at the office post workout at the gym. I didn't do any heavy lifting or anything, just cardio type of stuff. While in the locker room I unexpectedly had an emotional moment looking at my port free chest in the mirror. Damn near started crying. (not a good thing to do in the men's locker room) So, I got it together and went out to get warmed up. I think it finally hit me in a visceral way that this episode is really over and I can resume "normalcy" besides the various check ups that will occur for the next 5 years or so...

If you guys are good I will post a pic of my incision tomorrow!

Mitch

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy first full day without the cath, Mitch! It was great to talk to you last eve after you sobered up a little from the anesthesia. Great story about the moment in the locker room at the gym. Thanks for sharing that. Have a great port-a-cath free day!

Marco

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great news, man! i went and looked back at your first few entries and it's just wonderful to follow the progress you've accomplished.

so, will we be bidding on ebay for that port-a-cath anytime soon?
ds

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool - as usual! Wishing you a very
happy rest of your life!!!!!!!!!!
Onward!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for the incision pics! Surgery nurses, retired and otherwise, love incisions! ;D

Cheers! Barbara :D

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Mitch's mom is so pleased and so relieved. It's time to whoop it up!

Mitch's mom

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a teary moment at work and must...pull...it....together. I love you bro. See you this weekend. And thanks for the Flat Tire - that is sum tasty stuff!

Lance

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home