#51 Radiation Side-effects...and how!
Hey Gang,
I've had a weird couple of weeks symptomswise as of late. Over the gap from Christmas to New Year's to now I have had serious radiation consequences. I somehow didn't connect with the fact that the radiation effects wouldn't fully culminate until 5 to 7 days after my last treatment. Meanwhile I'm drowning in alcohol free Aloe Vera and I'm getting redder and redder and drier and drier. Plus, my underarms and I do mean my pits...are severely burned. So much so that the skin has opened up and is seeping. I'm not exactly sure what is being seeped, but it hurts. On Jan 2, 2007 I was able to get a prescription for some burn cream,silvadene, to help me heal. It is a wonderful thing this burn cream, but I'm still not healing too quickly. My skin around my neck is leathery yet thin and itchy and burnt. It seems to drink Big Gulps of Aloe Vera with no change. Suddenly I find myself breakin' into rashes in a few spots. I'm not sure if Radiation Therapy is so much better than chemo. Wish me well, and I hope to have a more positive update later...Oh yeah, before I forget, I must tell you about my hair neckline. I'm losing hair on the back of my head near my neckline. It hasn't all fallen out, but there is a distinct line and thinning that is going on. Oh well, it makes me "unique" I guess...
Mitch


4 Comments:
Mitch, it looks like my last comments didn't make it on the blog, so I'll be all-inclusive here. The burning from the radiation sounds super nasty! I am really sorry. But just think what it is doing to any miniscule amounts of bad cells, if any, that may have survived the chemo. Hang in there brother!
The Christmas greeting card was pure Mitch genius! I'd like to know how many Lymphomaniac fans out there can name the characters.
I was super-duper bummed to miss the trip to see you over the holidays due to the Denver blizzard of '06. But it makes me appreciate your blogs and our phone conversations that much more.
Love,
Marco
Bummer! Am glad you have Silvadene, but can you also use something like Solercaine to take away the burn sensation and a good lotion to hydrate your skin - both on ONLY the non-weepy areas? Wonder if Aveeno would help? You might run those thoughts past your nurse... Drink lots of water, too.
Wishing you well - Barbara :D
At last, something I can help with! When I worked in ER in Memphis about a lifetime ago, we used to get terrible burns in from time to time that had people somewhere under them. Not everyone could be in the room with them. Burns are one of those things that grip you in your gut and some folks know right away they can't be there. After the damaged areas were dealt with, we used gobs and gobs of Silvadene, very gently spread on the burned areas, and it is so effective, it is like magic. Basically, it helps speed up the process of getting the fresh new skin in shape to do its job by clearing away the skin cells that can't survive. It actually has silver nitrate in it, the same stuff that turned your skin black in chem lab, and the same stuff that is put in new babies eyes in very very dilute solution. Silvadene is your ticket to getting past the burns faster-- a lot faster, so keep it up. Check with the folks who are your partners in this struggle, but I suspect the clear drainage is lymph, also helping to seal and heal the burn. I'm always with you, pal. Stay cool.
Rob
This is terrible and I wish it wasn't happening to you. You're in my prayers and heart always.
Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home